Oops. I did it again. (Brittany Spears reference, ha! Geez, I’m a postdoc, and thus not particularly cool, ok?).
Anyway, I managed to apply the same process to this blog as I am to my research. Here are my “Ten Steps to Success”:
- Start a project. (Oooo, this will be fun!)
- While researching that project discover something else that looks more interesting (because that first project already seems boring and/or ridiculously difficult).
- Start that next project.
- Realize you are being an idiot and try to simultaneously work on the first one as well.
- Start a third project just for the hell of it.
- In your stress-induced haze of frantic working, have an ah-ha! moment and realize that if you just work on “this other thing” you can actually have something completed in a day or two.
- Work frantically on all four projects.
- Realize that four projects is really eight.
- Spend a day planning how to work on all eight projects.
- Effectively end up not getting anything done.
No. Please do not EVER follow these steps. Not if you are a postdoc, undergrad, blogger, stay-at-home mom, rocket scientist, or otherwise. In fact, if your actual intention is to do nothing, then following these steps will ultimately result in doing WAY too much work. And the loss of your sanity.
So I guess what I’m saying is…I have been working on several exciting blog posts over the month of December and I may eventually get one of them up in the next month or two.